Well I’ve finally went and done it. After many months of looking around and changing my mind about everything, I’ve placed my order with Ebuyer for all the components I need to build my own system.
I’ve built systems in the past that were on tight budgets and involved a certain amount of cannibalisation of older systems. This, however, is the first time I’m building completely from scratch and with good sized budget. I had two main aims for this build: I wanted something with good raw power, and would still be nice and quiet.
With these two overriding priorities, a Sandy Bridge processor and an H67 Express chipset motherboard went galloping to the front of the herd. The Sandy Bridge processors offer incredible boosts of energy efficiency for their respective power ranges, and the H67 chipset allows the use of the processors on-board GPU. The Intel Integrated Graphics HD3000 that comes with my processor of choice is more than good enough for my day to day tasks and can even handle older games at good quality levels and newer ones at playable frame rates.
With noise levels being important I turned to the website silentpcreview.com for help in choosing my PSU and case. This website is a gold mine of information with reviews on so many components. The Antec P183 is on their recommended list, and the Coolermaster PSU gets a good review.
The real luxury buy though was in choosing an SSD to boot from and store my frequently used applications and data. This should hopefully keep my machine running smoothly and quietly for some time to come.
Below is a list of the components with their product number linked to the Ebuyer website.
- Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz 251596
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 H67 Socket 1155 ATX 258684
- OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 168373
- Case: Antec P183 V3 – GunMetal Grey Super Mid Tower 253339
- PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 500W Modular 147112
- RAM: 2 x G-Skill 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Ripjaws CL9 1.5V 226283
- Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB Sata-III Barracuda Green 253335
- Hard Drive for OS: Kingston 96GB V+100 SATA-II SSD 246998
- Montors: 2 x Iiyama 24in widescreen eco black monitor 245284
- Optical drive: Sony DRU-880S 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Black 240593
- Keyboard: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 97577
- Mouse: Logitech Performance MX 172750